What is Search Engine Optimization?
According to Wikipedia, search engine optimization (SEO) is "the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via 'natural' ('organic' or 'algorithmic') search results."
Our website has really done a great service for us. Great job! We've gotten almost 2 leads a day just from our site.
—Bob & Michele, All About Gutters
"Search engine optimization is not something you apply to a finished website like a coat of wax."
—J. A. Hastava :-)
Search Engine Optimization, Naturally
You want people to find you. So do I. Naturally.
Search engine optimization (SEO) begins with website planning when you identify your goals, your audience and how people will find you. It's a vital consideration when you're planning your content, and It's factored into every design and development decision.
More Volume + More Qualified Traffic = Opportunity
Common Sense, Best Practices, & SEO
Here's a sampling of what I do to ensure that your website achieves the best possible natural search results:
- Identify your audience and the keywords they use to find you; edit and optimize your copy
- Separate content and presentation using valid, semantically correct XHTML markup and CSS
- Create unique page titles and page descriptions for each web page
- Include keywords in file names, folder names, page titles and descriptions, headings, anchor text, and alternative text
- Include meaningful headings and sub-headings, and use meaningful anchor (link) text (no "click here" links)
- Create an XML site map, appropriate 301 redirects, a robots.txt file, and a custom 404 error page
So What's Search Engine Marketing?
Search engine marketing (SEM) is broadly defined as paid placement such as AdWords, Pay Per Click campaigns, or paid search listings. I don't offer SEM services, but I can refer you to a professional internet marketer if you are interested.