Copywriting & Editing
Quality matters. Poor grammar, an inconsistent "voice," or misspelled words do not inspire confidence. I can help with that too. I love writing for the web.
"A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts."
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
—George Bernard Shaw
Gathering & Producing Content
People don't read on the web the same way they do print. They scan; reading headings and bulleted lists, searching for (you guessed it) the content they were looking for in the first place - and they'd better find it fast!
Gathering & Auditing Your Existing Content
- Your marketing materials may not work online. I collect your existing materials and analyze them for relevance, message and positioning to determine if they can be leveraged for your website.
- I organize and ruthlessly edit existing content, wrestling it into shape so that it's engaging, and people can easily find what they're looking for.
- I optimize your content for search engines so that your customers and potential customers will find you, AND find what they're looking for.
Producing Meaningful & Compelling New Content
Once I have a clear picture of the existing content that supports your goals, I figure out what else your audience is looking for. Then we make a plan to produce it.
Website projects can be delayed, derailed and sometimes fail completely because of "content denial." Is this You?
- "Content? Oh. We already have all of the content we need."
- "Content? Yeah. Someone else is doing that."
- "Content? What do you mean by content?"
- "Content? Just use what we have, and we'll flesh things out later."
Fortunately you won't need years of therapy to overcome this, just an understanding that producing meaningful and useful content - copy, images, video, documents etc. - requires collaboration and resources, and without quality, actionable content, all the website traffic in the world will not help you meet your goals.
Need a content audit? Give me a call. 707-894-8638
If you're not getting the results you want from your website, your content may not be doing its job.
"How Little Do Users Read? On the average Web page, users have time to read at most 28% of the words during an average visit; 20% is more likely."
—Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox
May 6, 2008